Friday, February 8, 2013

A Boy with Autism Finds a Musical Voice

Music allows people to find success.  I work with a young boy who has autism.  He speaks almost exclusively in eccholalia.  He will only repeat what you say when you ask a question, or he will say the same phrase over and over without meaning.  During a recent session I picked up a small xylophone toy he has.  It only has 6 notes on it.  I played a short pattern, and shockingly he played the same notes and rhythm I had just played!  I was surprised.  I then played the first 8 notes of Twinkle, Twinkle, Litte Star and was astounded when he played the next 8 eight notes in the song!  The musical ability he displayed in that moment is extraordinary for any child.  Without me showing him how or giving any direction he was able to figure out the remaining melody of a song and play it note perfect.  I credit music with the ability to give him the opportunity to connect in a meaningful way.  It opens those windows to the soul that show how extraodinary the people I work with can be.

1 comment:

Please share your experiences, questions, and/or comments as they relate to the post topic or about music therapy in general.