Thursday, June 28, 2012

Music Therapy with a Nonverbal Adult in Boise

Sometimes it is interesting the things that excite me during a music therapy session.  One of the great things about music therapy is that it is personal to each individual.  Everybody has different things that we are working on through music therapy.  I got really excited about a seemingly small thing because it was a huge step with the person I was working with.

I have been working with a nonverbal young adult woman for a while, and she has a real difficulty connecting with people and especially with playing an instrument by herself.  This week I kept encouraging her to play my keyboard.  I held it out to her, and she started reaching her hand out.  That was a big step in and of itself for her.  But I kept the keyboard there and she reached her hand closer and closer to the keys until she played a note.

After she played the note she got the biggest smile on her face.  She got out of her chair and gave me a big hug. Who knew that one note on the keyboard could bring that much excitement and connection.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your experiences, questions, and/or comments as they relate to the post topic or about music therapy in general.