Monday, June 25, 2012

Music Therapy dealing with intense emotions in Boise

I am working with a young man in Boise who is working on a dealing with some intense emotions.  One of the beautiful things about music therapy is that we can address things without the client realizing that is what we are addressing.  So during our music therapy sessions, I am teaching him different things on the guitar and we are playing and singing different music and generally "jamming out" as he likes to call it.  In between we talk about using music as a positive outlet, and he discusses his feelings.  We have written songs talking about what is going on with him.

During the session he looked up at me and he said, "You don't know how much I look forward to this every week.  This is really the only thing that I look forward to."  So, I am able to help him work through his difficult and intense emotions without ever having to ask him, "how are you feeling?" or say "let's talk about your emotions."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your experiences, questions, and/or comments as they relate to the post topic or about music therapy in general.