Thursday, March 28, 2013

Music therapy with a young man with autism

It has been really fun working with this 7 year old boy with autism that I see.  The music therapy has been really great at helping him make social connections.  It has been fun to watch him begin answering questions in the context of the songs, singing with me, and asking me for his favorite music.

At the last session, during one of his favorite songs, he made a point of looking at me to make eye contact and make sure that we were in sync musically.  That was so huge because eye contact in general is a difficutl thing for people with autism.  But not only was he making eye contact, he was making eye contact for a specific social purpose!

1 comment:

  1. Everyday I listen to music and my thoughts are clear. RAV Vast are my music therapy handpan vst.

    ReplyDelete

Please share your experiences, questions, and/or comments as they relate to the post topic or about music therapy in general.