Friday, April 26, 2013

Unexpected connection with a young boy with autism

I love a good surprise.  A great one happened to me recently.  The week before I have to admit was not my best session with a young boy with autism that I work with.  He was distracted, and I could not get him to focus on me.  One of the things that was distracting him was a book.  I decided to make up a song for the book while he was reading it.  I thought it did not really work that well because he did not engage in the song.  He simply kept reading it as though I wasn't doing anything.

The following week I went to see him.  The session started great with a lot of interaction.  He then went and got the book from the previous week.  He opened up the book and looked at me.  I started singing the song, and he sang it with me while making eye contact.  It was a good surprise.  I love a good surprise.

1 comment:

  1. This is a wonderful blog and I appreciate you highlighting autism. My music therapy is pan play.

    ReplyDelete

Please share your experiences, questions, and/or comments as they relate to the post topic or about music therapy in general.