Monday, April 15, 2013

A man with autism opening up communication with his mother in Mountain Home

I have really enjoyed working with a young adult man with autism.  He had some very limited communication when he was going to school, but has stopped any form of communication since leaving school. 

As part of music therapy, I have been having him indicate with gestures and signing yes what music he wants to do and/or what instruments he wants to play and wants me to play.  The more that I have been doing with him, the more he has been readily letting me know what he wants.

His mother told me, she has been doing the same thing, and has been very happy because he has been communicating with her.  I love how music therapy can open doors of communication. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your experiences, questions, and/or comments as they relate to the post topic or about music therapy in general.