Friday, February 22, 2013

Music therapy gives unique connection for a young adult with autism

I am working with a young woman with autism who recently became an aunt again.  Her little nephew (2 months old) was with us in our last session.  The young woman talks only rarely, but will sing if I give her prompts.  Lately I have been working with her doing improvisational song writing.  We make up a song about anything and she smiles as she sings our simple made up song.  This time we did a song about her baby nephew.  She got the pattern of the song and sang more than I have heard her sing during this intervention.  The most exciting thing was to watch her look at her nephew and she sang with more tenderness than I have ever heard.  This is the first time I have seen her even look at her nephew.  It was a sweet experience to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your experiences, questions, and/or comments as they relate to the post topic or about music therapy in general.